Knowledge 24/7
Knowledge 24/7, Attorney
Experience:  Extensive Experience in Real Estate, Contract, and Business Law
10097719

Does a spouse have any rights to the property in an estate

Does a spouse have any rights to the property in an estate of a mother-in-law, if she is not named in the mother -in-law's will as a beneficiary?

Hello JAGUEST-64786406,

A child's spouse is not classified as an heir according the intestacy laws of any state. When a child inherits a portion of a parent's intestate estate, the inherited property belongs solely to the child. The child's ownership is the same as though the parent had given that property to the child while still living. New Jersey requires each heir to survive the deceased by at least 120 hours in order to receive his or her share of the intestate estate.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Thank you