JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

Is it legal for a physician to fire a patient not only from

Customer Question

Is it legal for a physician to fire a patient not only from being his patient but also all of his colleagues in his department at the same hospital? Coincidentally, I was fired within days of filing a confidential complaint about the the unprofessional treatment and negligence of said physician?

Does someone who has a history of psychiatric conditions such as depression/PTSD/OCD have rights under the ADA against being "profiled" by a physician? In this case, a surgery was performed for pelvic issues which were causing massive pain for a yr. prior to the surgery. At the post op follow up discussion 5 weeks after the surgery, the symptoms were worse than pre-surg. Discussed the symptoms with the surgeon and concern, the surgeon did nothing - no examination - no testing - just washed his hands of me and said I should see a pain mgmt. doc. After continued pain and dramatic weight loss of 20 pounds, another physician diagnosed 1 1/2 months later C. Diff (an infectious disease)
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Yes, it is legal for a physician to decide that s/he is no longer going to treat a patient. It's also legal for a hospital department to decide that they are no longer going to treat a patient.

In other words, a patient does not have an unqualified legal right to be treated by the doctor(s) of their choice.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

All of the questions i had were not answered...

I.e., releasing medical regards XXXXX XXXXX signed release or checked ID

psychiatric profiling and rights within the ADA

Can you please reread my original questions, they were more than just about being fired by a physician?

Does someone who has a history of psychiatric conditions such as depression/PTSD/OCD have rights under the ADA against being "profiled" by a physician?

Based upon the facts you've described, "no."

is this a HIPPA violation?

Because the records were released to you and not released to someone else, "no" there was not a violation.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't think I'm presenting my questions in a manner that is being correctly understood, so I'd like to leave this interaction open. how do I do so? I'm not satisfied with the answer - not because I don't like it, but I don't think I am presenting my case appropriately and I need to run. How do I leave this open, I'm not ready to accept?
Simply reply back when you are ready to continue.