How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

MINOR IN CONSUMPTION in Texas. Small town, huge party--at

Resolved Question:

MINOR IN CONSUMPTION in Texas. Small town, huge party--at least 50 cars parked in front of the party house--some above 21, many between 17 and 20. When the police arrive and sort, many citations--mip, mic, etc. My kid (this parenthetical--I am a teacher/mentor who has tried to help lots of kids through lots of stuff) was cited with minor in consumption. She called me and I picked her up at 2:45 Saturday morning and took her to her apartment. She was not at all drunk, but extremely functional; claimed she only had one beer, but who knows. She is 19 and not living with her parents, but attending college. She has never been in trouble with the law previously other than a speeding ticket in a school zone in the same jurisdiction. Two questions: 1) Given this circumstance, what will likely happen to her? 2) Given this was a citation and not an arrest, will her name appear in the local newspaper?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer- The citation is still a matter of public record and if the paper publishes this kind of information it could appear. You really have no control over the press but if you try to keep it out it will certainly be in. Your daughter should get an attorney and not talk to anyone about the incident. I doubt anything serious will happen to her but there's always a chance the cops messed up on the citation or that there is a possibility of a reduction of the charge etc.


I never advise anyone to just plead guilty to something like this. She will likely end up with a fine and some probation or community service since it is a first offense but it never hurts to have legal counsel and get the details worked out before throwing yourself to the mercy of the court. MIPs are obviously quite common among young adults and do not carry the stigma of offenses involving sex or theft. Most older adults can sympathize and say "there but for the grace of God go I".


In any event it is still a criminal case and she should get representation.


Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you