Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

can i get a ccw licence with a felony

Customer Question
can i get a ccw licence with a felony
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
1/30/2010
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
What state are you in here?
tennessee now but the felony is in michigan where im moving back to next month
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 7 years ago

Thanks for your question.In Michigan, once a person has a felony conviction on his or her record, then he or she becomes ineligible to obtain a valid CCW License.Only way around here is to apply for pardon with governors office once you are back in Michigan.If pardon is granted you can own guns, vote, all rights here are restored.It would be good to cleanse your record this way by pardon here.
Ray, Lawyer
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Reference to the law..

he Michigan Parole and Commutation Board is the sole paroling authority for prisoners sentenced to the jurisdiction of the Michigan Department of Corrections. Prisoners serving an indeterminate sentence are subject to the jurisdiction of the Parole and Commutation Board after serving the minimum sentence imposed by the court less good time and disciplinary credits, if applicable. Prisoners whose crimes were committed since enactment of truth-in-sentencing legislation are not eligible for good time or disciplinary credits. This applies to specified assaultive crimes committed on or after December 15, 1998, and all other crimes committed on or after December 15, 2000.

By statute (MCL 791.233), even after serving the minimum sentence, a prisoner may not be granted parole until the Parole and Commutation Board has reasonable assurance, after consideration of all of the facts and circumstances, that the prisoner will not become a menace to society or a risk to the public safety. The factors considered by the Parole and Commutation Board in making parole decisions include the nature of the current offense, the prisoner's criminal history, prison behavior, program performance, age, parole guidelines score, risk as determined by various validated assessment instruments and information obtained during the prisoner's interview, if one is conducted. The Parole and Commutation Board also considers information from crime victims and other relevant sources.

Most parole decisions are made by three-member panels of the Parole and Commutation Board. Decisions for prisoners serving a life sentence are made by majority vote of all fifteen members of the Parole and Commutation Board.

The Parole and Commutation Board uses a numerical scoring system called the parole guidelines to apply objective criteria to the decision-making process. This tool is designed to reduce disparity in parole decisions and increase parole decision-making efficiency. The factors used in the parole guidelines are set forth in Administrative Rule(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Parole may be ordered without an interview if the prisoner's parole guideline score places him/her in the high probability of parole range (+3 and above) unless the prisoner is serving for an offense involving a sexual assault or one which resulted in a death. A prisoner may be denied parole without an interview if his/her parole guideline score places him/her in the low probability of parole range (-13 or lower). The Parole and Commutation Board's decision may depart from the parole guidelines range but the Parole and Commutation Board must provide, in writing, substantial and compelling reasons in support of the decision.

During the period between the Parole and Commutation Board's decision and the prisoner's release, the prisoner's behavior continues to be monitored. If the prisoner becomes involved in misconduct in the prison or the Parole and Commutation Board becomes aware of other adverse information, the parole may be suspended. Misconduct which occurs after release to parole may result in revocation of parole at the discretion of the Parole and Commutation Board.