Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

California commercial building warranties question. Tilt-up

California commercial building warranties question...
California commercial building warranties question. Tilt-up buildings

How long is a developer, general contractor or sub-contractor required by the state of CA to warrant his work to be free from defects.

i.e., Roof leaks, building settling causing cracks, parking lot breaking down, etc.?
1/28/2010
Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Attorney
Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you have put all of the information in your question. Also, due to site reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. Also, there may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said...

Generally, this is 10 years from the date of substantial completion.

Good luck.

Legal Disclaimer. By requesting this information, you expressly agree to the following: The information given is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. The nominal price you may or may not pay for information does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and signed fee agreement, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular rights and needs. My answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up with an attorney licensed in your state. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also am licensed to practice only in California, which may not be the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites.

I purchased a 10,000 SF building in a 16 building business industrial park in Palm Desert, Riverside County, CA.

The construction was completed in mid to late 2006 and building owners started taking possession of the buildings.

All of the buildings have flat roofs. Several of the buildings have had problems with rain water leakage.

I have received several emails from owners asking how long the roof construction is guaranteed to be "leak free". Or, how long is the developer, general contractor, or sub-contractor be held liable for repairing the roof leaks. Since we are located in the low desert area, we do not recieve very much rain, but we experience very hot summers.

What is the time frame for roof warranties according to California construction laws?

There have been other problems with construction of these buildings I will address at a later date, but this one is the most pressing.

Ann XXXX

This would be warranteed for 10 years. You should talk to a construction defect attorney to get an expert out there to inspect the building, find all of the problems, send a demand letter and ask for damages.
Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Attorney

Same problem - different day.

Who can I contact in CA who can clearly define the time period a General Contractor must stand behind their, and their sub-contractors, work on commercial tilt up buildings?

I received the following note today from the General Contractor.

"The buildings have a 1 year warranty from date of final acceptance by owner or date of substantial completion, whichever is the earlier to our prime contract (Professional Real Estates Services). The date for building M and N was recorded Sept 18,2006 ….Note all these buildings were final by the city with an C of O granted on or around September to first of October 2006."

The roofs and walls still leak and the General Contractor is basically telling the 16 building owners "it's not my problem".

I am not certain if my prior question a little over a year ago will show in this message, so I am going to copy and paste.

Asked by you on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:19 PM EST

1 Accept / 1 Answered Question

California commercial building warranties question. Tilt-up buildings How long is a developer, general contractor or sub-contractor required by the state of CA to warrant his work to be free from defects. i.e., Roof leaks, building settling causing cracks, parking lot breaking down, etc.?

Optional Information:

State/Country relating to Question:

California Already Tried:

looking on the web - very confusing

You have received an Answer!

From Steinlaw

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:18 PM EST

Good luck.

You replied

Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:21 AM EST

Ann XXXX

You have accepted an Answer!

From Steinlaw

Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:42 AM EST

Jonathan

Steinlaw
Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Attorney