Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

1. A principals liability in a contract with a third party

Customer Question
1. A principal’s liability in...

1. A principal’s liability in a contract with a third party may depend on the authority given to the agent to act on behalf of the principal. (Points: 2) True False

2. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 prohibits employment discrimination on the basis of age by persons of any age. (Points: 2) True False

3. An employer may avoid liability for unintentional discrimination by asserting that a practice with a discriminatory effect is a business necessity. (Points: 2) True False

4. Genetic Seed Company hires Howie to work in its shipping office, accepting deliveries and dealing with other companies' drivers. With respect to Genetic, Howie is most likely (Points: 2)

an agent.,

an independent contractor.

a principal.

a work for hire.

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
1/26/2010
Lawyer: Andrea, Esq., Attorney replied 7 years ago
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney

1. False. It may be actual authority given by the principal or implied authority; if the agent acts beyond the scope of his authority, but under color of authority, a third person can legally rely on this and the actions of the agent will be binding on the principal

2. False, It is antidiscrimination legislation protecting those who are 40 years old and over

3. True. An employer cannot discriminate on the basis of age and what might appear as a discriminatory practice, in fact, is not; Ex. a certain job requires a person to be able to lift a 100 pound load by himself several times a day; if a 66 year old man applies for the job, but cannot lift the necessary weight, he cannot say he was discriminated against because a younger man was hired

4. None of the above, Howie is an employee. He is not an agent of the employer because he is not acting on behalf of the employer and has no authority given to him by the employer; he is not an independent contractor because he cannot work independently, cannot make his own hours, his own rules, etc. He works according to job description and at the direction of the employer; if Howie does not own any part of the company, he is not a principal; a work for hire is usually a one shot deal

If it's absolutely necessary to choose True or False on No 3, then 3 is the closest description to what Howie does

_______________________________________________________________________________

Please press "ACCEPT" so that I may receive credit for assisting you;

That is the only way I get paid

If you have questions in the future, please feel free to ask for me by typing my name at the beginning of your question

Making a deposit does NOT constitute acceptance of my answer, you would have to press "ACCEPT"

Leaving Positive Feedback, Bonus, etc. is always appreciated

__________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for allowing me to assist you and Good Luck!

ANDREA, JD, LLM

Member, NY & PA Bar

Edited by ANDREA, on 1/26/2010 at 11:21 PM EST
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Three out of these 4 answers proved to be incorrect.....I paid $15 for nothing

The answers are absolutely correct and I gave you an explanation for each answer

Whoever gave you those answers, is absolutely wrong

1. A principal's liability may go much beyond the actual authority he gives the agent that is why I gave you explanations

and the rest are correct for the reasons I explained

2 & 3 are correct and as for No. 4, he was none of the above, but if a choice had to be made, he would be a work for hire

Don't blindly say the answers are incorrect, with no explanation State your reasons, if you have any

I stated my reasons for their correctness.

It was not blindly said, this is the results of the quiz, you tell me that you're right?

Question:

A principal's liability in a contract with a third party may depend on the authority given to the agent to act on behalf of the principal.