How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can a person do if they have a drug addict neighbor harassing

Customer Question

What can a person do if they have a drug addict neighbor harassing them by texting and as they leave or arrive their own home. There is nothing physical yet, but i am afraid it could escalate. Thanks for your time.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

These types of threats are criminal acts.


I recommend contacting your local police department and letting them know the situation. Speak to someone face to face. Write down the names of officers and the times you spoke with them. Keep a journal. It may be that they wish to charge him with the electronic harassment or they may wish to use this event to coordinate a search of his residence for narcotics.


Either way would generate police attention to shut him up.


You should also take personal steps to protect yourself. Do not confront him or attempt to handle anything yourself... simply call 911 if he were to attempt any type of physical contact or come to your residence.


You may also wish to petition for a restraining order but talk with the police first about your best options. This is why you pay their salaries.. use them.


Please reply if I can help further.



Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

JD and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks so much You really helped calm my nerves and I have intelligent options instead of fear.
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

Healthy fear is good. Drug addicts are unpredictable and you must take reasonable precautions. Don't be negligent and don't attempt to handle this person yourself and you should be fine.


Good luck and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.