Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have been a renter for over 12 years at my complex. I have

Customer Question

I have been a renter for over 12 years at my complex. I have not had a lease since the first year, I have been there on a month to month lease. Today I returned home and there was a letter with a lease in it and the owner stated that I needed to sign it and that my monthly rent was going up $250.00 per month. This is the first time that he has indicated that he was raising my rent. Is this legal? Is he not suppose to give me at least a months notice before he can raise the rent? I tried giving him my regular rent check and he returned it to me and stated that the rent was now $1250.00 and for me to sign the lease.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.

My name is Eli and I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

In Florida, the law requires a FIFTEEN DAY notice to for a landlord to increase the rent on a month by month basis. So your payment WAS valid. He needs to give you a proper 15 days notice beforehand.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”