Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am married but i dont wish to change my last name.The social

Customer Question
I am married but i...
I am married but i don't wish to change my last name.The social security office won't allow me to get a copy of my ss card because i don't have my marriage certificate.I don't want to change my name to my husbands name so how do i get a ss card in my maiden name without showing divorce papers?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
1/1/2010
Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Why is it a problem providing your divorce judgment or marriage certificate?

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

because when i show them a marriage certificate they will issue me a ss card in my husband last name instaed of my maiden name,but i am not divorced.I just wish not to change my last name just because i'm marreid.

I'm off to dinner. If you can wait, I'll resolve this in a couple of hours..

If you were married since the last time you received an SS card, and you changed your name on your marriage license, then that is your legal name and you cannot obtain a replacement card in your prior name (unless you state that you are not married on your SS-5 application -- which would be misrepresentation).

When you applied for the marriage license, you had the option of retaining your prior legal name (which if you were previously married, would be your previous married name). You also had the option of having your prior married name (if you were divorced in the past), as part of your divorce.

Based on all of the above, if your current legal name is XXXXX XXXXX name, then the only way that you can get an SS card with your maiden name is XXXXX XXXXX the Superior Court for a name change, and then use the court decree as evidence of your legal name.

See this link for a sample commercial name change package.

Note: I neither recommend nor disparage the above-referenced package. It's just an example of commercial products that may be used for a name change.

Hope this helps. Happy New Year.

socrateaser, Lawyer
socrateaser, Lawyer