socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I mistakenly missed my court date. I now have a judgement

I mistakenly missed my court date. I now have a judgement for $6000 against me. I had a very good defence. Is there any chance of getting this case reopened?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Unless you can show "excusable neglect," which means something like you were hit by a car and unconscious in the hospital, then I'm afraid you have had your opportunity for due pocess, and your only recourse is to try to negotiate payments or a settlement with the creditor -- or, file for bankruptcy protection.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would the fact that I made a mistake and thought the court date was thursday when it was actually tuesday possibly be excusable neglect?

Not in any court I've ever been in. It need to be a serious. problem where no reasonable person would have been able to appear at the hearing.

I'd love to give you some air-tight excuse that would work, but your facts just don't provide anything useful to work with.

Please don't shoot the messenger, but you'll just have to move on to the next set of options.