MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

Hi, Im a divorced Father with joint custody of my 13 year

I'm a divorced Father with joint custody of my 13 year old Daughter. I live in Kentucky - and my Daughter lives with her Re-married Mother in Mississippi. I was just recently told by my Daughter that she was molested twice by her Step Fathers best friend 5 months ago - and that she was taken to the police dept. for questioning and some kind of court date was set.

I asked my Ex over the phone why didnt she tell me any of this when it first happened - she refused to tell me. I also asked for a copy of all the paperwork that was filed against the molester with court dates etc. She also refuses to send me that as well.

My question is:

Should I have been notified of the molestation at the time it happened?

Also - don't I have the right to receive all the paperwork that was filed against the molester - with dates and any other information etc.?

Thanks,
-Rick
Hello Rick, I am very sorry to hear about this problem. Yes, you as joint custodian are entitled to know the particulars of the case involving your daughter. In fact, your ex-wife's handling of the matter is grounds for you to file for sole custody with her only having supervised visitation.