How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37380
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had been in a relantionship with a guy (greg) for 2 1/2 years

Resolved Question:

I had been in a relantionship with a guy (greg) for 2 1/2 years and i became pregnat but i had cheated on him. either way i had my son and let greg sign the birth certificate i found out that he isnt the father and want to remove him from the birth certificate and change his last name. what do i do? how do i go about doing it? he was born in tn. but we reside in ky.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 years ago.



You would need to get a paternity test done to verify who the biological father is first. Then you would need to file for a court order establishing the biological father and disqualifying the person who signed the birth certificate in the court records. Next you would need to submit a copy of the order along with a petition to change the birth certificate to the Tennessee Vital Records office and they will make the changes.


Form and instructions:







Barrister and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how do i get a paternity test done? how much do they cost? and is there a way for assistance to pay for it? where would i need to get a court order? what state would i get it in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

where do i get a dna test done? how much do they cost? is there assistance i can get to pay for it? how do i get a court order? what state do i do this in because i live in kentucky?

Expert:  Barrister replied 7 years ago.

If the biological father is willing, you can get him to go to a testing lab and they can perform the test by swabbing the inside of his mouth with a large q-tip to get a sample.


If memory serves, in KY it is around $300 but you can Google "paternity testing" and get lots of results for labs and contact them for exact costs.


I don't know if there is any type of assistance to pay for them, but most labs will allow you to make payment arrangements.


Once you get the results, you can contact the "friend of the court" in the Circuit Court and they can help guide you through filing the motion in Family court.


The order can be from either TN or KY, they will each recognize each other's orders under the full faith and credit and reciprocity doctrines.






Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what is the friend of ther court
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 years ago.

It is a person employed by the court system to help individuals who do not have attorneys file motions and navigate their way through the court system.


Legal Aid is another agency that can assist, often at reduced or no fees.