How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118658
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was granted sole custody of my daughter in my divorce 4 yrs

Resolved Question:

I was granted sole custody of my daughter in my divorce 4 yrs ago due to the father's addiction to crack cocaine. Our divorce decree states that he is granted supervised visitation every other weekend. He has been clean now for 2 years. What are his chances of having sole custody changed to joint custody? If the judge upholds the sole custody arrangement, am I obligated to share holidays and summer vacations?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Chances are in almost all of these cases that the custody will not be disturbed just based upon his two years of sobriety. As far as the visitation schedule, the courts do seek to grant liberal visitation to the non-custodial parent and they expect the parents to work out the agreement between themselves in a reasonable manner and when the parents cannot do so, the court will craft an order. As far as unsupervised visitation and long overnight visitations, usually after a drug addiction the courts will start slowly with some supervised visits and then short overnights. Holidays can be split by the courts as can summer vacations.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you