Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My boyfriends ex-wife is harassing me on facebook, using alias

Customer Question
My boyfriend's ex-wife is harassing...
My boyfriend's ex-wife is harassing me on facebook, using alias in his ex-girlfriend's names. She has sent horrible, harassing (toward me and my character) emails to several of my friends and my parents. She has sent false emails to my employer, as well as left messages on my work voicemail. She is also sending facebook emails to me threatening to get me fired. She has called my parents and falsely accused me of "being the other woman" etc, and she has called and left a crazy voicemail for my editor also spewing false information trying to damage my reputation and cause me to loose my job. What is the best way to go about stopping the defamation? Everything that she is saying is verifiably false.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/30/2009
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 7 years ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Can have a lawyer send a letter warning her to stop. Can contact Facebook's admin and demand her posts be removed and be removed from the site.

So, filing a harassment TPO is not the way to go here? My job was threatened, and she has moved to harassment beyond internet bashing. She has done this to several other people in the past.

That is another option. I would pursue that idea along with mine in conjunction.
I understand that there are no legal precedents for "cyberbullying" which is why the harassment via phone contact is critical. Is this true, or can online harassment be grounds for a harassment case in this situation?
It is very much ground for a complaint and better than phone, here you have printable proof.

True, but keep in mind there are the "alias" names that she has used. Her real name is XXXXX XXXXX these email messages. All I have as far as "printable" proof are the phone print outs with her number on it, calling my office 4 times in the span of 20 minutes. She spoke with one of our customer service girls, I'm sorry, yelled at one of our customer service girls would be more accurate, spewing the lies, etc... Is that enough as far as evidence goes?

It is not great but you could subpoena the e-mail provider to confirm it is her account.
Subpoena the e-mail provider or her ISP?
I would do both to get this information.
Would you suggest that I have a lawyer consultation first before filing a complaint?
That would be prudent as it would help you further marshal your evidence and plot out the strategy. Kindly accept my answer.
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
INFOLAWYER, Attorney