Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Is there a statute of limitations for building permit enforcement

Is there a statute of limitations for building permit enforcement by the King County Building Department? With the economic downturn, the County is going back and dredging up old permits that have not been finaled, including one that was taken out by a previous owner of my property in 1994. They are asking for $404 for renewing the permit, and say they will give me 6 months to have the work inspected.
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question.Sorry there is no statute of limitations on this issue to save you.I wish that I could tell you otherwise.They are well aware that they can go back after you here unfortunately
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
In other words, even if the County failed to follow through on a permit issue, no matter how long it has been, they can still come back and require a subsequent owner to fulfill the outstanding permitting requirements?
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
I'm afraid so.There just isn't a SOL on this type of enforcement.I would agree with you that is really chicken of them and not right.But legally they can enforce it.I would tell you that it wouldn't hurt to write your county commissioner and judge and let your feelings be known.Somebody in the chain here decided to go back and look at these.