lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
15417118

I HAVE A HAND WRITTEN POWER OF ATTORNEY FROM A FRIEND IS IT

Customer Question

I HAVE A HAND WRITTEN POWER OF ATTORNEY FROM A FRIEND IS IT A LEGAL DOCUMENT
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
The POA is not effective. A POA ends at the death of the person. Here you will need to call his blood family since I assume that there is not will.Sorry but what he wrote is not legal.

Edited by Wayne Patterson on 12/17/2009 at 3:35 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

he never had any kind of relation ship with his family because all they wanted was his money! i have been taking care of this man for the last couple years and in this time there has been no contact with his blood relatives. i was there with him in the hospital every day until he died plus on his emergency contact list at the hospital is my name and the next of kin on his paper work at the hospital is my name there must be something i can do please help me

Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry for you loss. However, if there is no will then his entire estate passes by intestacy. That means his blood relatives. That is the law of the state and there is no provision for someone that is not a blood realtive. Thanks for the accept and for using justanswer.

Edited by Wayne Patterson on 12/17/2009 at 4:21 AM EST