How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102601
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the legal way to get someone out of your house. this

Resolved Question:

What is the legal way to get someone out of your house. this is a family member who keeps my house like a pigstyle, uses the bathroom sink as an ashtray, etc. Doesn't pay their way. P.S. they are very rude, disrespectful and very ungrateful. I'm at the end of my rope.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Is their name on the lease? Whose name IS XXXXX XXXXX lease?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is no lease. She's just a grandchild living in my house. She has her 14year old son, who has been in foster care . She brought him here without permission., sleeps in the bedroom with her(there was no room for her, no room for him and I'm tired of my home looking like a pigstyle. Can social services look into this.. I'm tired of living in a pigstyle. P.S. Her brother is here also and he's just the same or worse. They think we owe them something. They have to get out of my house because my mother is up in age. They totally disrespect her. Please, please help.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.
You don't owe them anything. Just because the child is 14, you do not owe them anything - SHE has the duty to provide care, not you. A simple call to the non-emergency police number will suffice, and ask that an officer comes out to "encourage" them to leave. If they don't, they can be arrested for trespassing. PERIOD. It's your house, it's your choice who stays here. Don't call CPS yet - since it's your house, you might get entangled. But once call as above, and they should be out within a few hours.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work.

Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you