How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ok my fiancee is trying to divorce her husband. she married

Resolved Question:

Ok my fiancee is trying to divorce her husband. she married him and less than a week later he was imprisioned for a year and is currently in a half way house in New Jersey would it be easier for her to do the divorce her self
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

In my experience it is better to spend a few hundred dollars and get it done right. This should be a very simple divorce and should qualify for an attorney's lowest rate. If you seek a younger attorney you will get an even lower rate. Online forms are ok for certain things, but if you mess up a divorce it can have lasting implications. You want to make sure this is done correctly in order to insure your own marriage is valid.


If you absolutely must handle the matter yourself then go to your local court clerk and get copies of several example divorces to review. It will ultimately help you understand what is needed but you will still take a risk of not getting it done right.


Please reply if I can help further.



Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

JD and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you