How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19140
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and I have joint custody of our 12 yr old son. For the

Resolved Question:

My ex and I have joint custody of our 12 yr old son. For the past few weeks my son has been asking me to get full custody of him. His father says things to him like "I hope your mom's plane crashes...don't you?" and "I can't wait until your 18 so I don't have to see her ugly face anymore". We have been divorced for 10 years with periods of good and bad behavior from the father. I am very concerned about the emotion impact this is having on my son. There have been many instances of negative comments about myself, family and friends. The father has never physically abused my son but uses quite a bit of emotional manipulation. My son keeps telling me "I've had enough!" Can I get a joint custody agreement changed?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 years ago.

You can file a Complaint for Modification of the Custody and request that the Court give you sole physical and legal custody of your son with limited visitation to your ex husband. You need to provide the reasons for asking for the modification just like you did in this narrative here.


The Court would make a decision whether to grant your request based on what is in the best interests of your son. If the Court finds after hearing from you and your ex husband (and most likely your son) that it will be in the best interests of your son for you to have sole custody, the Court would grant your request. If not, the custody would remain status quo.


The form for filing the Complaint is available at the Courthouse, in the Clerk's office.

Phillips Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you