How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i took 3,000. from a bank account at work. I want to pay

This answer was rated:

i took 3,000. from a bank account at work. I want to pay it back. what should I do.

You should go first thing in the morning and see a criminal defense attorney. You should explain the details of the incident and develop a plan for the best way to return this without triggering a criminal prosecution. We all make mistakes... but the key here is to correct your mistake while incurring the least amount of harm possible.


You should remember that anything you say to anyone other than your lawyer could be used against you in court. So don't tell anyone about this... no one.


If you cannot afford a lawyer or cannot get in to see one then try calling your local public defender's office and speaking with one of their attorneys.


The key here is to refrain from giving anyone reason to prosecute you if at all possible. You made a mistake... so you need to fix it. I also think fixing this quickly would be wise.


Please reply if I can help further.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if its paid back over a period of 3 months and not done anymore would it be better to take that route then having to go public and lose job and face in community
How would paying it back over 3 months help? Wouldn't the money be missed or be spread over more audit trails if it goes on that long?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am afraid. its an account that gets checked once a year (during audit) exact transactions have never been checked. just balances to bank statement and ledgeri want to pay back hate feeling like this never done anything like this before but my luck it would be checked first time in 6 years.

"Exact transactions have never been checked..."


If that is the case maybe returning the entire amount immediately would be better. This way the balance will be corrected tomorrow and the transactions may never be checked. Please understand that I do not know the nature of your business or the nature of the oversight on this account or the nature of your access to it. Nonetheless, a speedy correction can be much easier to explain than one that takes 3 months.


I know you are afraid. Anyone would be... but don't let that stop you from doing the right thing. Return the money. If you get caught then you get caught returning the money to it's rightful owner... personally I would rather be caught returning the money than caught holding it for 3 months. The strategy for its return is a personal decision that you must make yourself... I can only tell you that you should consult a local criminal defense lawyer to help minimize the chances of prosecution and to develop a relationship and plan if an investigation were launched.


It is not time to panic. You know what to do. You just need to do it.


Please reply if I can help further.



JD and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you