How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I was detained for theft where I used to work and I

Customer Question


I was detained for theft where I used to work and I signed a promissory note and then was arrested and charged with 1 felony and 1 misdemeanor of theft charges. My question is if I agreed to repay what I took in a criminal court could they still come after me in a civil court?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
Yes they can sue in a civil court unless there is an order of restitution in the criminal court and you are making payments.
legaleagle and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

what is the difference between deffered and suespended sentence? Is there anyway I can find out what the average punishment for a felony of theft by deception and a misdemouer of theft by unauthorized taking. I know what the maxium is but I was woundering what is the average pentelties. I mean I have no prior criminal record for anything. And the only majior driving violation I have is driving after suespension\revocation.
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.

Deffered adjudication means if you are successful you do not have a conviction. Suspended sentence means you are convicted but the sentence is suspended.

There is no average sentence by law. It would depend on the court and prosecutor you are dealing with and what they are likely to order in your situation. So you really need a criminal attorney in that county to tell you what to expect in that specific jurisdiction. With no priors you are very likely to get just probation or even deferred ajudication.