legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas
4622441

Hi, I was detained for theft where I used to work and I

Customer Question

I was detained for theft where I used to work and I signed a promissory note and then was arrested and charged with 1 felony and 1 misdemeanor of theft charges. My question is if I agreed to repay what I took in a criminal court could they still come after me in a civil court?
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
Yes they can sue in a civil court unless there is an order of restitution in the criminal court and you are making payments.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

what is the difference between deffered and suespended sentence? Is there anyway I can find out what the average punishment for a felony of theft by deception and a misdemouer of theft by unauthorized taking. I know what the maxium is but I was woundering what is the average pentelties. I mean I have no prior criminal record for anything. And the only majior driving violation I have is driving after suespension\revocation.

Deffered adjudication means if you are successful you do not have a conviction. Suspended sentence means you are convicted but the sentence is suspended.

There is no average sentence by law. It would depend on the court and prosecutor you are dealing with and what they are likely to order in your situation. So you really need a criminal attorney in that county to tell you what to expect in that specific jurisdiction. With no priors you are very likely to get just probation or even deferred ajudication.