Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live on the second floor of a condominium. I have chronic

Customer Question
asthma and severe allergies. My...
I live on the second floor of a condominium. I have chronic asthma and severe allergies. My downstairs neighbor and her underage daughter are "chain smokers." The smoke/odor is coming into my building through the electrical outlets,around the plumbing and any other unsealed area between our two residences. I have tried to seal off all of the areas, but it is not working.
I have three air purifiers running as well as many "room deodorizers" and notheing seems to work. I have asked her to purchase a corbon air filter, insulated her outlets, anything to help...but she has not done anything. The situation is getting worse. My lung funstioning in decreasing and I do not know what to do.
My condominium management says that she has the right to smoke in her own house....but don't I have the right to breathe in mine?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
12/1/2009
Lawyer: WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney replied 7 years ago
WALLSTREETFIGHTER
do you rent or own the condo?

own

Ok...so I know how to spell better than I did..

corbon=carbon

nothing and functioning....you would think a teacher would proofread her work...sorry

The condo does not understand the possible consequences of their actions. A civil suit threat should be made by you.You may wish to advise the tenants and condominium management, or even the individual members of the condominium board of possible legal liability for failing to take reasonable steps to protect your health, especially once the problem has been formally brought to their attention.

Through the use of state regulations, such as a sanitary code, Wisconsin and many other states provide general language for protecting the health of residents in multi-unit buildings. State law also supports more traditional claims of nuisance, warranties of habitability, and the right of quiet enjoyment. You can sue the below tenants and condo baord for allowing this to happen as poisonous and dangerous toxins are going into the building and others are being harmed, they will be held liable.

Visit this site also for more info.

http://www.wish-wi.org/apartments.htm

WALLSTREETFIGHTER
Thank you so much. Now I know where to begin.
WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney