How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LADYLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6536
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LADYLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was served with a notice from the Rock Island County, civil

Resolved Question:

I was served with a notice from the Rock Island County, civil division with a charge of FTA/civil body but to my knowledge, I was not served with any kind of court notice. I live in NC now and they are asking me to appear personally for service of some kind.It also states that if I don't respond they could persue my driver's license privledges. Should I get an attorney? Again, I have no idea what this charge is for except that I was recently divorced and I have a 16 year old child. I am currently paying child support & alimony but in the divorce decree, I was to make the payments on the home but lost income and could not for about 7 months before the sale. The home has recently sold and I allowed her the proceeds from the home. She took a warrant out on me because I was not abiding strictly by the divorce decree. Her attorney stated that if I paid 7800.00 that the warrant would be lifted. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LADYLAWYER replied 7 years ago.



Your ex probably tried to serve your last known address, but if you weren't living there, then you were never properly served. Yes, you need an attorney at this point to quash the warrant in IL. You will also need to have the attorney file for a reduction or temporary suspension in your child support if you cannot pay it. What's more, if you gave her the proceeds of the home, this may give you an offset in the child support, thereby reducing or eliminating the $7,800.00 they are claiming you owe. To find an IL family law attorney to help you with this, you may look here: I would try to find one in Rock Island County, so they can appear on your behalf.

LADYLAWYER and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you