How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16374
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i went and applied for disaster releif food stamps after hurricane

Resolved Question:

i went and applied for disaster releif food stamp's after hurricane gustav and when i feeled out the form i forgot to put my son's income. i put his social securty mumber and b-day i just honestly for to put his income on the back of the form it was crazy in the line's after hour's of waiting and i just made a mistake.i got a call from a fraud investagator we met and i told her what had happend and she told me at the end of the interview not to worry.but she also she does'nt make the decision's but they were not going to clog the system 700.oo i can't stop worruing i have only had one speeding ticket in my life. should i be worried about fraud charges.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legalease replied 7 years ago.

If you have no prior offenses and nothing on a record, then they may just accept this as an honest mistake, recalculate the benefits and ask you to repay the amount that you were overpaid. If you receive a letter like that, then you should call them immediately and make arrangements to pay back the monies that they are requesting. Obviously, there is not much that you can do about this at the moment and worrying does not help. If you receive a summons to appear in criminal court over the situation, then you are entitled to a court appointed attorney if you cannot afford your own attorney -- so the first time you appear at court you should ask for one to be appointed.


And you need to stick to what you told the investigator -- it was an honest mistake and that everyone (including yourself) is so weary over hurricanes in LA and waiting in lines for benefits that it is not surprising that some people do make mistakes like this.




Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time



Legalease and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you