How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if someone brings you a a truck with no motor in it . a motor

Customer Question

if someone brings you a a truck with no motor in it . a motor is put in the truck built by the mechanic .all parts were provided by the sounds fine runs good is driven away from the place where it was worked on after 30 to 40 days have passed the owner takes it to someone else they claim the motor job was bad then they file claim against the person who performed the motor job . the mehacic was never given the opportunity to fix the problem if it was something wrong related to the job performed.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

I understand that the owner of the truck is claiming poor workmanship on the truck. What is your question? Was any of this done in writing? Is anything wrong with the truck or was this just one mechanic speaking poorly of another mechanic's work?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
nothing in writing i feel its another mechanic speaking poorly of another. plus i do not no what was wrong with the vehicle he never bruoght the vehicle back for me to check or fix before he took it to someone else .do i need a lawyer 2600.00 for as he claim incomplete repairs i drove the vehicle and he did also for almost a month
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

Whether or not to hire an attorney is a personal decision. I always recommend that someone at least consult with a local attorney about their problem since it is usually free and can leave you with valuable information and direction.


Does he have a lawyer? Do you know this other mechanic? If so, do you feel comfortable contacting him to see what was wrong with the vehicle? Do you feel comfortable calling the plaintiff and asking him for details on what was wrong with the vehicle? Do not admit to anything, but you need more information to know what your direction should be.


You need to gather information as to the nature of the problem. Then you need to ascertain if the problem was related to your work, to the parts used, or to some other factor that had nothing to do with the job. Without knowing more it is hard to tell.


At the very least you could send a letter to the plaintiff, or his lawyer, requesting a written description of the problems and the costs of each issue. This could give you an idea. Further, most new parts come with a warranty that may cover resulting damage if it was a part failure.


Please reply if I can help further.



JD and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the lawyer contacted me i offered to give him all his money back if he returned all my parts they wanted to keep all my parts and i pay 2600.00
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

This does not change my position. Ask his lawyer to give you all the information on the problem with the vehicle and make a determination whether you feel responsible for the issue. Unless you provided a warranty you would only be responsible for bad work... if you did the job right and the motor failed or a part failed that you could not anticipate then you are not liable for the problem.


You should consult a local attorney for some good friendly advice on any settlement offer you plan to make.


Please reply if I can help further.