How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was injured in an accident and had surgery, and an IV was

This answer was rated:

I was injured in an accident and had surgery, and an IV was broken off in my hand, the hospital told me they were not going to do anything about it, I got an attorney to help me out and made a small settlement with them, its been 19 months and I still never got my portion of the settlement, I've called and called they don't even return my calls my part is 19k, what can I do.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

From the facts you've described you need to contact the State Bar of California and file a grievance against your attorney for (a) not giving you your settlement proceeds, and (b) not maintaining contact with you.

The contact information for the State Bar and an overview of the attorney discipline process is found at:

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
file a griveance against him or the firm
The attorney.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how long do they have to distribute the funds,
It should be done no longer than 30 days after they receive the settlement monies. There is no reason why it should take longer than 30 days.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he said a trust was set up in both of our names until all leins were paid, that was complete last dec. ? because my name is XXXXX XXXXX trust, do I have the right to ask for all that info involving the trust,
Yes you do. All medical bills, etc. should have been paid by now. You have a right to an accounting for everything. The problem is that your calls on not being returned. That's a red flag for a grievance to be filed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what happens to him if I file a grieveance against him
The first thing the bar will do is contact him to find out the status of the money and try to get it returned to you ASAP. Then they are going to find out why he wasn't keeping in contact with you. Your complaint could be dismissed or he could be subject to possible professional discipline against this license.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you
You are most welcome. I hope that you find the answer to be ACCEPTable!
JB Umphrey and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you