How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19326
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how and where can i file for some type of stay away or order

Resolved Question:

how and where can i file for some type of stay away or order of protection against my girlfriends ex husband. He constantly calls and send me text messages. He has not threatened me however, i consider this to be harassment.
he has also emailed my ex wife, showed up at my friends apartment and harassed his wife.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 years ago.

You need to file for Temporary Restraining Order in the Family Court or the Supreme Court in the city/county where you live. You need to obtain the forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office. The forms are self-explanatory. However, if you need help completing the forms, the Court personnel would assist you.


Click here to find your Courthouse:




Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Family court or supreme court even though he's not related to me? am i eligiable for a temporary restraining order even though, he hasn't threatened me?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 years ago.


He is harassing you and you are the boyfriend to an ex-spouse.


It is up to the Court to grant it or not grant it. The fact that you file for a Temporary Restraining Order does not mean that the Court would automatically grant it. The Court would make a decision based on the information that you provide on the Restraining Order Forms and your testimony.


Phillips Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry for the delay.