Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What is the name of the law I would be breaking if I purchased

Customer Question
a hand gun and my...
What is the name of the law I would be breaking if I purchased a hand gun and my spouse is a felon ? I know this is not legal, but need to know the name of the law itself I live in RI
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
12/1/2009
Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Attorney replied 7 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
If your spouse had possession of the firearm then it would be "felon in possession of firearm."

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
Yes but what is the name of the law I would be breaking if I bought one, the ATF told it to me but i cannot remeber I believe I would be breking the law bybrining it into my house
If you would be purchasing the gun in your name with the intent for her to use it, then that would be an illegal "straw purchase."
would this also be called the silver lining law
I don't think so. Straw purchases are a felony violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 for both the straw purchaser (who can be charged with lying on Federal Form 4473) and the actual possessor.
so if a gun club was unkowingly letting felons shoot at thier club is it the same thing
I can't speak or speculate to the specific policies or practices of a gun club.
but is it illegal and of so on who's behalf the club or the person lying

As I said before, straw purchases are a felony violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 for both the straw purchaser (who can be charged with lying on Federal Form 4473) and the actual possessor.

Anyone who has a concern about a possible illegal practice can contact the ATF for further investigation/follow-up.

JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney