How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Justice4U Your Own Question
Justice4U, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 11396
Experience:  Broad base of legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Justice4U is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 80 year-old mother has been denied any social security since

Customer Question

My 80 year-old mother has been denied any social security since my dad died in 9/09. Who can help me with appealing that?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Justice4U replied 7 years ago.

Where was your father employed? Who was the employer?


Thank you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He was a superintendent for various union road construction firms. He was a member of AGC-IUOE Operating Engineers Local 701. I wondered if they thought "engineers' meant the railroad. I have prepared a summary of all we've tried and what we were told. If you like, I can send it to you.
Expert:  Justice4U replied 7 years ago.

This is probably an error. As it appears that you know, Railroad Retirement Board benefits are applicable to employees in the industry. It appears this would not be applicable to your situation. Assuming your father paid into the social security system, your mother is entitled to benefits.


Unfortunately, I cannot review or draft an actual document for you. Your father should have received benefits statements annually from the Social Security Administration (SSA). These would be helpful to your situation. The SSA should be able to reference benefits at a local center via your father's SS number.


Here are the elgibility requirements for your mother's receipt of benefits at:


Lastly, you may want to contact your local bar association's attorney referal service which can ,match you with an attorney that can represent your mother before the SSA. I would be happy to assist you further as well with any specific questions.


Thank you




Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. The responses do not create an attorney-client relationship and are informational only.