How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I file a claim or contempt charge against a person who

Resolved Question:

Can I file a claim or contempt charge against a person who aids another person in committing an action of contempt? (example) One family member is fully aware an order has been handed down to another that a minor child is to be in counseling with both parents individually but one parent disagrees with it and has another family member provide shelter in another county 500 miles away as to prevent counseling.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

What kind of court case does this involve?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dissolution of Marriage in california and custody of children

Children have been ordered into counseling with both parents but one parent has decided to disrupt this by sending minor children outside of the county.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
Then only the other parent can file a motion for contempt of court against the parent who refuses to follow the court order.

The court only has jurisdiction over the parties who are actually involved in the case (i.e., the two parents). The court does not have jurisdiction over the other knucklehead family member.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I file a civil suit against them for interfering?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
If you're one of the parents, no you cannot file a civil suit against a non-party for interfering.

You can file a motion against the other parent to show cause why s/he should not be held in contempt of court for not following the judge's order.
JB Umphrey and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The other parent (Mother) was colaborating with a family member (Adult Daughter) in keeping minor children away from counseling with me (the Father). Do I have any options to prevent interference?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
Only dragging the mother into court on a contempt of court motion and having the judge chew out the mother. It's the mother who needs to make sure that the court's order is being carried out. And it's the judge who needs to come down with the hammer if people ignore the order.