How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 17248
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What age is considered an adult in Alabama. I live in Ohio

This answer was rated:

What age is considered an adult in Alabama. I live in Ohio and at the age of 18 my son decided he wanted to move to Alabama and I continued helth insurance coverage on him. He had his appendix removed and did not pay what was left over from the medical bills. I never received any billing in Ohio yet it was turned over to collections and I recently found out while checking my credit report this is currently on my report therefore lowering my score. The collection agency says I am responsible and are giving me 30 days to pay the bill eventhough I never received the first billing from the hospital in Alabama. I contacted the hospital and they say I am responsible so the billing stays as is.
the age of majority in Alabama is 18 years of age, unless they have not finished high schools, however, if you declare him as a dependent on your taxes they could try to make a claim you are responsible, However they are wrong and unless your son put you on as a guarantor, you are not liable.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What do you mean "unless my son put me as a guarantor". I assume this would be him putting my name down on the hospital admission paperwork as the responsible party for billing. Could he sign my name witout my knowledge and it be binding?
it cannot be binding, if it was untrue, you need to challenge the bills, and talk to your son regarding how your name was even identified.
WALLSTREETFIGHTER and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you