How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118253
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been disabled with Congenital nystagmus since birth.

Resolved Question:

I have been disabled with Congenital nystagmus since birth. Been recieving SSI for over ten years, father recently retired and told me I would get adult child disability, but I never got it. I called and they told me that I still had to apply, and when I did I was denied and denied again in appeal? What should I do?
Submitted: 7 years ago via ExpertHub.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
SSA has a track record of denying benefits on the first application and there have been numerous suits over these denials. What I have found generally is the only way to get them to move is to hire an attorney who specializes in SS law and appeals. The attorney's fees are generally paid entirely by SS, sometimes they may take a small percentage of the benefits, but they usually are able to get the appeals granted and benefits reinstated and unfortunately, this has become almost a necessity when dealing with SSA.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I dont understand why the woman told my father that it was all taken care of, she even quoted him an amount. Than I had to apply again and was denied?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, she likely told him that because she works for SSA and one hand there does not know what the other is doing and this happens all too frequently sadly to say. This is why they pretty much force people to get attorneys and why SSA ends up paying the attorney's fees.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so SSA will pay my legal fee?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
In about 99% of the cases they do pay the fees to the attorney pursuing your appeal and they pay in all cases when the appeal is granted.