Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What is the definition of common law marriage in Arizona Wha

Customer Question
What is the definition of...
What is the definition of "common law marriage" in Arizona?
What is the procedure to establish a "common law Marriage"?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
11/12/2009
Lawyer: Andrea, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your question and Welcome to JustAnswer

Please keep in mind that the Expert Attorneys at JustAnswer are here to help you, they do not write the laws; so, if the law does not provide the answer you were hoping for, please be courteous to the Expert Attorney helping you.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

ANSWER:

The definition of "common law" marriage is an agreement between two people to be married, but do not go through the traditional ceremonial marriage with witnesses and an officient.

Arizona does not recognize the creation of a common law marriage within its jurisdiction and now only the following states recognize the creation of common law marriages within their jurisdiction:

:

Alabama
Colorado
District of Columbia
Georgia (if created before 1/1/97)
Idaho (if created before 1/1/96)
Iowa
Kansas
Montana
New Hampshire (for inheritance purposes only)
Ohio (if created before 10/10/91)
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania (if created before 1/1/05)
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Texas
Utah

In order to establish a common law marriage it must be entered into in a jurisdiction which still allows that type of union. There is no set time limit in which the parties must live together before a common law marriage arises; however, both parties must have a presnet intention of entering a common law marriage, they must manifest such present intention by holding themselves out to the world as husband and wife, must introduce themselves as husband and wife, and conduct their affairs as husband and wife such as having joint bank accounts, taking title to property as huband and wife, file joint income tax returns and show similar indications as would a husband and wife who had entered a marriage in the conventional ceremonial manner.

It is important to remember that both parties must have the same intention; where only one of the parties intends for a common law marriage to be created, but the other party does not have a similar intent, no common law marriage is created.

Once they have established a common law marriage in a jurisdiction which allows the creation of common law marriages, they can travel to other states and they will still be recognized as husband and wife. Additionally, because the parties are now husband and wife, if they no longer wish to be married, they have to obtain a divorce just as those who entered a conventional marriage.

I hope this information is hepful. If you need further clarification on common law marriages, please do not hesitate to let m know and I will clarify.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so that I may receive credit for my time and effort in assisting you.

Pressing the "ACCEPT" button will not close the window and you may ask follow up questions, if you like

Positive Feedback, Bonus, etc., is always appreciated

__________________________________________________________________________________________

ANDREA, JD, LL.M., Taxation

Member, NY & PA Bar

DISCLAIMER: The facts stated herein are information only and are not intended, nor should be construed as legal advice or legal opinion and No Attorney-Client relationship is formed by asking questions and receiving information; laws vary from state to state and to protect your interests, you should seek local counsel

Edited by Andrea on 11/12/2009 at 6:49 PM EST
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney

So if the two parties agree to a common law union, then how do they open a bank account, or share property as joint owner. Does the woman then sign his last name as her legal name? How do you get your SS card changed? They ask for documentation.

Is a car property? or is it real estate only. When yo go to open a bank account now, they ask for your SS card. So do you sign in the married name or your current name with him.

If you live in Arizona, you will not be able to enter a legal common law marriage. You must be residents of a state which recognize the formation of common law marriages (A resident of one of the states which I listed above).

So, if you were residents of a state which permits formation of a common law marriage, then you would tell anyone who asked for documentation that you are common law husband and wife and do not have any documentation. However, Texas, for example, requires that a common law husband and wife sign in the Court Clerk's Office as such; so if you resided in Texas, you would furnish documentation from the Clerk's Office.

Things like bank accounts, utility bills, etc. do not generally require documentation of marriage.

It is important to remember that although none of the formalities are necessary to form a common law marriage, if you later decide to dissolve the union, a conventional divorce is required.

ANDREA, JD, LLM

Member, NY & PA Bar

Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney