Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was supposedly a winner of a $1000. giftcard from Walmart.

I ordered the 13 items...
I was supposedly a winner of a $1000. giftcard from Walmart. I ordered the 13 items from indiv. prod. (as what was required) haven't received card, or any confirmation from any one. But have spent over $200. in merch. and postage. I really don't believe this is a scam,or that I was so stupid Can you check into this for me? I have the documentation to prove my actions,that I fulfilled what was required of me in this program;"Hotgiftrewards"
Thank you, [email protected]
11/6/2009
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Hello. You said you went to your local Walmart with the promotion and the employees at WalMart told you it is a scam?
Yes, in League City Tx. This was the store location they told me to go too. I talked to the manager in customer service.These were her words!
If your local Walmart has told you that it is a scam you can bet that it probably is a scam. Every Walmart has a list of ongoing scams that they are told to warn their customers about, and this so-called promotion is probably on the manager's list so that she can alert her customers if they inquire about that certain promotion. However, it might be a good idea to contact Walmart headquarters at Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. 702 SW 8th St. Bentonville, AR 72716 Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN or contact them via email through their website : http://walmartstores.com/7663.aspx >>>>>> if the corporate offices confirm that this is a scam, you should report the actions of the online company to the Texas Attorney General's Office. The AG's Office can be contacted at: http://www.oag.state.tx.us - if you have paid any monies to be part of this promotion they can pursue a refund for you. If not, the AG's office keeps a record of all business complaints and even if they do not pursue the company based on your complaint, if they get enough complaints they will pursue the company on behalf of the citizens of Texas. You should also contact your local branch of the Better Business Bureau -- they are also great at keeping records of all on-going "promotions" and can confirm or deny the legitimacy of the company you are dealing with. The website for your area is as follows: http://houston.bbb.org. Any time that you come across an online, telephone or mailed based promotion such as this it is always best to check with the referenced company to see if they know anything about the promotion. If it is a scam, typically they will get the "customer" to pay them an entry fee or some other kind of fees and then they never award the "prizes" -- so they make a bundle of money off a lot of people each paying just a little bit. Or, as in your case, they get you to buy a bunch of items from them and never award the gift cards as promised. I know that you want this to be legitimate, but I cannot wave a magic wand and tell you that it is legitimate. With a little legwork and contacting the AG's office and the BBB, you should be able to get a more in-depth answer on this.
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Legalease
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer