How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MShore Your Own Question
MShore, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25285
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
MShore is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter was just engaged. Her fiance is separated, but

Resolved Question:

My daughter was just engaged. Her fiance is separated, but not divorced. It has been this way for 13 years. His wife refuses to give him a divorce unless he gives her a large amount of money, which he does not have. She has been committed at least once to Bellevue Hospital because of her mental problems. He pays her child support because they have three children under 21 and she has custody, although she has alienated the children. What recourse do my daughter and her fiance have, without a lot of money to spend, to be able to get his divorce and get married in the fall of 2010?

Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
He can still file for a contested divorce, the difference between a contested divorce and an uncontested divorce is that in the former one spouse does not want the divorce and will not voluntarily agree to it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Since he supports the children, and my daughter has one child, they cannot afford the cost of a contested divorce.
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.

then his only recourse is to request a waiver of court costs in his filing for a contested divorce based on economic hardship.

MShore and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you