How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Im trying to see if I can attempt to obtain spousal support

Resolved Question:

Hi, I'm trying to see if I can attempt to obtain spousal support when I file. I am 39 earning $50K/year while my husband who I brought to this country, put through med school and sacrificed/supported for 11 out of 14 years of marriage, grosses around $300K. He doesn't have his medical license in TX, only in LA so his apartment is there. We have lived apart for just 3 years. We've been married for 14years. We do not have children. Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Yes. The rule of thumb is that a spouse is entitled to spousal support for a term equal to half the length of the marriage and in an amount to equalize the income. You may also be entitled to a share of the value of his medical license. You will want to retain local counsel to assist you.
Ellen and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you