How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What recourse do i have to get my son, 17 into an inpatient

Customer Question

What recourse do i have to get my son, 17 into an inpatient treatment center? he has attempted suicide twice in the last 14 months, he has abused many drugs and walked out of a 60 day adolecsent inpatient treatment facility after 5 days, he has been home for four days and has left agaisnt his doctors advice.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Because your son is a minor, you can attempt to forcibly commit him to a treatment center, as it appears that a voluntary center is not a good option, both due to his mood swings and mental state, but also because he may quite possible run afoul of the law and get into deeper trouble. I truly wish I could give you a better answer and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX find him before gets into any further trouble.


Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
In the state of Missouri I am told that because he is 17 he is not a minor, but until he is 18, he is not an adult. apparently this is a grey area, or a year of limbo? Can you advise me as to whether or not this is the case? Can we still have a court order to commit him? If so where do I start? The juvenile courts or? I guess what I am asking is what office or court do I contact? Where do I start?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 7 years ago.
The legal age is 18. Missouri like many other states has a stipulation in the juvenile code which refers to a person being at least 17 being an "adult". This law pertains to adjudication proceedings only. That does not mean that you, as parents and guardians, do not have the right to forcibly commit, as legally your son is still a minor and you can legally commit him. The term designates when a minor can be tried in an adult court only. The age noted in the juvenile code does not supercede the state's actual age of majority which is as was noted, 18.

I hope I was able to clarify the situation a little.


Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.