How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LADYLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6536
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LADYLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in california. I worked as an independent contractor

Customer Question

I live in california.
I worked as an independent contractor for a company last year.
I got 2 checks from them.
I have not cashed the checks.
what is the statue of limitations to cash these checks?
What can I tell them to convince them to send me new checks?
( the reason I did not cash the checks was that I thought they will direct deposit them to my account,But I do not have the direct deposit papers I filed for them( the second reason was that I know the miscalculated and should have paid more, so I was going to get my papers together to show them how much they have miscalculated.
feed back please. please keep it simple and short.
Thanks a bunch
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LADYLAWYER replied 7 years ago.



The checks are good for 90 days. You did not say whether or not you asked that they re-issue new checks. Have you tried this yet? If so, to what result?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have not cashed them for 1 year.

I want to know my rights, and what to tell them so that I can qualify to get the checks paid.

If I tell them" I forgot", can they say: too bad, and my checks go bad?

If I tell them" I wanted to dispute the amount and I think you have to pay more, thats why I did not deposit them", sounds legit?

If I tell them I thought you are going to direcy deposit them and not a paper check thats why I did not open my mail, becaiuse I thought it was a receipt of the direct deposit", would that fly?

Expert:  LADYLAWYER replied 7 years ago.



Sorry for the delay, my computer froze and I had to reboot. They owe you this money, it doesn't matter that you did not cash the checks. I would simply ask them to reissue them. If they do not, then you want to go ahead and contact the CA Division of Labor Standards Enforcement. The Division of Labor Standards Enforcement and the Office of the Labor Commissioner were established to adjudicate wage claims, investigate discrimination and public works complaints, and enforce Labor Code statutes and Industrial Welfare Commission orders. They'll get your money for you. Here's the website, should you need it:

LADYLAWYER and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks you for your help and guidance.
Expert:  LADYLAWYER replied 7 years ago.



You're welcome and thanks for using!