How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I divorced and husband awarded house, responsible for mortgages

Resolved Question:

I divorced and husband awarded house, responsible for mortgages and was suppose to refinance in his name. He did nothing, the home is now being forclosed. I moved to another state and purchased another home after the divorce. Now I'm receiving notice to sue, marital home foreclosure notice. Do I need to get a lawyer and respond to notice? I am not, can not save the home but I'm concerned about any legal action and whether it can affect my current home.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
It can not affect your current home but the lender can sue you for the defaulted loan and if they do they can garnish your wages or try to collect any judgment they get against you. If they do sue you, you can sue your ex for his contempt of court for failing to refi but if he is not paying the mortgage he probably does not have the money to pay you for his contempt.
legaleagle and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you