How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 6 children.Two live in CO, two in FL, and 2 with me

This answer was rated:

I have 6 children.Two live in CO, two in FL, and 2 with me and my stay-home wife in NJ. I pay and am current on the child-support for the 4 children that don't live with me.My ex-wife from CO has decided to move out of her morgage free home (Habitat for Hummanity 4 BR home awarded to her) and move in with her parents in Sault-Saint-Marie, MI, as of tomorrow.She is taking with her, our 2 children (ages 18&16), plus her 12yr old daughter from her current marriage.According to my son, his mother is not selling the house, and her husband (whom she is supposedly separating from) will continue to live there.Unbeknownst to me, she has requested a child-support review, and I have until Nov.10 to submit all my financial documentations.I now earn significantly more than a few years ago, however, the increase I received barely made up for the cost-of-living increase for moving from Detroit,MI to NorthernNJ.I can't afford to pay more although their calculator says I should.The laws in MI favor me
Are you asking as to how to avoid paying less child support?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, if I have a chance to continue paying the same.
One more question--Colorado is the state that controls the child support payments, correct? It is not the courts in New Jersey or Florida, correct?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Correct. I was told that I could not request that the case be moved to MI, where it would benefit me, despite the fact that my children and her will no longer be residents of CO as of tomorrow. I have so many questions, such as why would she hand over her free 4BR house to her husband, and pretend she needs more money. She just paid for my son to get a a tatoo all across his back, she is hurting for money so much.
You were correctly notified. Although the kinds and your ex are moving, they do not become residents of MI until they actually spend a certain portion of time there (6 months).

I really cannot comment as to her moving out (although I agree that it sounds a bit perplexing)

What you can do is review the link below for possible exemptions that you can utilize to bring down your possible child support obligation. Since I am not sure exactly which of these options you fall under, let me link you to them below and have you review them for yourself.

Good luck and please let me know if you have a follow-up.


Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I was aware already of that information, besides the tax part, which, opened up another question in my mind, since she always claims them. However, my biggest querstion is, is it worth it for me to hire a lawyer to assist me, since according to the CO online calculator, I would be paying double of I pay now, and compromise my ability to pay rent? I just have no idea what her financial situation is and she has not returned my calls in months. She is very knowledgeable about working the system, where I am clueless, and I think she is up to something that is not right.

My apologies on the delay. How large, monthly, is it of a change? Reason I ask is I want to calculate for you if it is financially useful to get an attorney.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It would go from $517 to $1,072 I believe. I already pay $750/mo to FL, and I have a stay-home wife, and twin 2yr olds. I make about $100K./yr But am still digging out from the expenses of moving to NJ to further my career opportunities, medical expenses from my wife's very complicated pregnancy, among other things.
Yes, you definitely should get an attorney in this case--your attorney should demand copies of your wife's income and quite possibly make allegations of unfitness since it makes no logical sense as to why a person would move from a free home to live somewhere else.

As someone who practices and lived in NJ, I can completely understand as to how expensive the standard of living is in your location and I understand as to why you should fight and argue against the increase.


Dimitry Alexander kaplun, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you