Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

In Ohio, can a social worker force a husband to place the wife

In Ohio, can a social worker force a husband to place the wife in a nursing home?
Could you explain the situation a bit more? Is the wife not getting care at home?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My mother has begun to wander and does not know what day it is.
She is not incontinent and my father feeds her, cleans house etc.
My sister had her taken to a geriatric, psychiatric facility for evaluation and said they plan to put her in a nursing home.
There has been no family consultation, nor has Dad signed anything.
He wants her to stay at home with a caregive for 4 hours when he is out of the house running errands and also for his own respite. We have not met with anyone at the hospital as of yet. She has been in two days.
Thank you.
Nobody can force you to put your mother in a nursing home. If you are able to adequately care for her at home, you are free to keep her at home (there is no law where a non-family member or guardian can forcefully place someone in a nursing home without consent from the family).

Please do not worry, nobody can demand it from you so long as you are able to care for the needs of your mother.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for the quick response.
It will help my Dad. He wants to try other avenues first.
Sincerely,
Sylvia
You are most welcome. Do not let the social workers pressure or browbeat you if you have other options.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Dimitry ALexander Kaplun, Esq.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 11/1/2009 at 2:28 AM EST