How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MShore Your Own Question
MShore, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25285
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
MShore is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I get my ex-boyfriend to leave my house The house is

This answer was rated:

How do I get my ex-boyfriend to leave my house? The house is in my name, and we broke up three months ago. We were together for 5 years and a few months, but are at the 5 1/2 year mark of living together.
You will have to provide him with a 30 day written notice of vacate. He is legally a tenant and must be treated as such.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do I have to do this through the courts? I tried to serve him with papers about 6 months ago...they were papers that I had drawn up, and I even did so in front of law enforcement officers, but the papers were not "accepted"
the 30 day written notice would be delivered to him via certified mail, if he does not vacate within that time period you would have to take him to court for a court ordered eviction.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So...just to make sure I understand...I can write the letter myself, then mail it to my own address (with his name on it), registered and certified, with notification that he signed for it. Then after 30 days, if he has not left, I have to file through the courts to get him evicted. Do I have that right? I am not sure that I mentioned this before, by the way, but he has never paid a dime into my home...EVER. But he is still technically a tenant?
Yes you have it correct, and that the fact that he has never paid rent does not change his status as a tenant.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Now, in the worst case scenario...he does not leave with my notice, I get a court order, but he STILL won't go...what is my next step?
The sheriff would execute the eviction and if need be forcibly remove him.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. What about my vehicles? He drives them like he owns them, even when he does not have permission. I currently have him on my insurance because of an accident he had a few years ago. I am afraid that if I take him off of it, he may have an accident and I could lose my house if he were to kill someone.
Tell him not to drive the vehicles anymore, inform him in writing that he is not to drive the vehicles under any circumstance, further inform him that he is being taken off of the insurance and provide an effective date. IF he takes a vehicle again, contact the police to report the vehicle stolen.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have called the police before, and they told me that he can drive the cars when he likes because I had given him permission before! But with the information you have given me, the police would be required to do something, right? Would I go about it the same as I am going to do with providing him written notice of eviction? THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, they would be required to act because you have formally revoked any privilege to drive the cars and can be prove it. Yes, you would go about it the same way.
MShore and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.