How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I sue my husband for pain and suffering. My husband abandoned

Resolved Question:

Can I sue my husband for pain and suffering. My husband abandoned the family when I was 8 moths pregnant with twins..he cheated on me his girlfriend called me and harrassed my I was stressed troughout the pregnancy..also can I sue the woman he cheated with for texting and harrassing me
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
What is your state?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I leave in suffolk county New York
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
No, you cannot sue her, legislation was enacted in New York to abolish the right to bring an alienation of affection lawsuit. You also cannot sue him for pain and suffering but your attorney can certainly bring those issues to the attention of the judge in the divorce action.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I sue him for anything in civil court..I read of a woman suing her for punitive damages
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
No, all you can do is get what you can in the divorce.
lwpat and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you