Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

when your boss lies on you what can you do

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
10/15/2009
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
If she lied and you can prove she made a false statement, then you can file suit against her for defamation. BUT other than suing her for defamation, I am afraid the EEOC will not help you much.

In order to bring a claim to the EEOC you must prove her behavior was based solely upon your age/race/sex/disability and without being able to prove that they will not get involved. Also, if you were an employee without a written employment contract to the contrary, you would be an at will employee and an at will employee can be fired for any reason at all as long as it is not based upon their age/race/sex/disability.

Her yelling and screaming and her behavior towards you, the US Supreme Court has been clear that the laws on hostile work environment/harassment must be based upon unlawful discrimination (age/race/sex/disability) and they were not intended to create a code of civility in the workplace (See: Oncale v. Sundowner Offshore). Thus, if she was behaving this way for any reason other than your age/race/sex/disability, you have no claim.

Your claim would be in unemployment, where you would appeal and force the employer to produce evidence you hit her which would be misconduct sufficient to deny benefits and you would present witnesses and evidence on your behalf to disprove her claims.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

I appreciate your answer but it's not fair to temp workers to be treated this way. That's like saying we are nobodies. We can do their work follow all instructions but we're not free from work harrassment because we exercise our rights. We shake our heads when we see the news about crime. Why is the crime rate up? Lack of jobs, hate, racism, and who gives a damn about temp workers. Oh hell, i can lie on this person and cause her to lose her job and everything she owns because i'm a lead person or i'm the boss. That's bullshit! Are we not people too! This could ruin my life! Thanks so much. Your answer was very professional.

The law itself many times is not fair. Again, age/race/sex/disability are the only things the law protects employees from harassment over. There have been several states that have tried to pass laws protecting employees from workplace bullying, but to date not one state has managed to pass such a law.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney