How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Griffin Law Firm Your Own Question
Griffin Law Firm
Griffin Law Firm, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 51
Experience:  I am an attorney licensed in both CA and WA
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Griffin Law Firm is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Florida I hold title to a mobile home in Okeechobee, FL, in

Resolved Question:

I hold title to a mobile home in Okeechobee, FL, in July 2009 I entered into a contract to sell the home with me carrying the note. I will sign over Title when all payments are made, until then I own the home and must pay the Lot owner the monthly lot fee. The buyer is not making the payments on the home nor paying the lot rent. She refuses to accept my phone calls, mail or have any contact with me. I have had a friend of hers call me and tell me she has weapons and is afraid of me. I am a 68 year old woman and this mobile home is a retirement investment. I must continue to pay for the lot rent or land owner will evict mobile home. Therefore, this buyer is living payment free in my home with me making payments. I thought that this might come under the Lease to Own Law, or Landlord/Tenant Law, but now I am having second thoughts on this. I sent her 3 day notice, but I think I may have to hire an attorney. I have no idea what type of attorney would handle this situation.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Griffin Law Firm replied 7 years ago.
The key to how this is handled will be in the language of the document you executed with her. It is possible that you merely created a landlord tenant relationship for the period you are describing, in which case you should consult an attorney who handles evictions and landlord tenant law. Make sure to bring copies of all the documents with you when you consult with them. In reviewing your documents, is it seems you have created a situation more like a mortgage and deed of trust, they will probably need to refer you to someone who handles foreclosure actions. I would start with the landlord/tenant attorney though and try to find someone who offers a free consultation.
Griffin Law Firm and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay. Now my question is: The mobile home is in Okeechobee, Florida, I live in Saint Lucie County Florida, there is a 50 mile trip for me to go to Okeechobee. Both of these counties are in the 19th Judicial District. Can I file in Saint Lucie County or do I have to file in Okeechobee County?
Expert:  Griffin Law Firm replied 7 years ago.
According to the rules of Florida Civil Practice and Procedure:
47.011 Where actions may be begun.--Actions shall be brought only in the county where the defendant resides, where the cause of action accrued, or where the property in litigation is located. This section shall not apply to actions against nonresidents.

Based on the facts you have told me, the answer to all three of those tests is Okeechobee so unfortunately, you will not be able to file in Saint Lucie