How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118203
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 61 years old and have student loan debt in my name for

Resolved Question:

I am 61 years old and have student loan debt in my name for two of my daughters. One has been brain injured in an accident so her promise to pay is a moot issue. Is there any way her portion of the loans can be cancelled. The loans in her name are in the process of being cancelled due to the fact that she will never work again. It has been a long process but in my case they say they ae in my name so it is a no go.

My loans defaulted to NYSHEC and I made arrangements to pay and after my first payment they prompty sold them back to SallieMae and the process started all over again. If I could get rid of the one daughter's loans and interest it would be a lot easier. Is dying the only answer?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Student loans MAY be forgiven in bankruptcy but are very rarely forgiven by the bankruptcy courts. Unfortunately, student loans, absent showing some significant financial hardship, are really something that just do not go away. There is a process where they will recalculate your loans and cancel out the deferrment and forebearance time, but you still end up having to repay the loans with the interest and it is just something that is one of the hardest things in the world to make go away.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.


I understand and agree and being able to get my forbearances and deferrments back would be helpful.


In your opinion would it be helpful to contact a local attorney who could help with just the portion of debt owed for my disabled daughter or is that a losing battle? Also, what kind of an attorney would be best suited for this.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, getting these debts wiped clean is pretty much an impossible battle and hiring an attorney would likely be a losing battle. For the disabled daughter you could apply for a discharge of the loan based upon the permanent total disability and you need to apply for that through Sallie Mae and if they deny it then getting an attorney to pursue that discharge would be worth it.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you