How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 540
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with experience in many fields
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My tenant sighed a lease with me through a realeste broker

Resolved Question:

My tenant sighed a lease with me through a realeste broker without seeing the place. Then he try to back out of the lease saying my place is not clean, and not fit the code. So, I hired a cleaning crew and fix the electric problem, right after. But he still do not want the place. Should I give him the deposit back. Although I have lost a month of rent because after fixing the problem, he still did not want to move in
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 8 years ago.

Good Evening,


Thanks for choosing Just Answer.


As the landlord you have the obligation to make the premises livable. After being informed of the problems you have the responsibility to fix them. As long as you fixed them within a reasonable time (varies by state, but is usually 14 days) then the tenant cannot abandon the lease. If you fixed the problems in a reasonable amount of time and made reasonable accommodations, then the lease is still valid, and you can enforce the lease--which could include keeping the deposit, depending on the terms of the lease and what you are out because of the tenant backing out.


I hope this information has been helpful. If you need more information, please let me know.


Thanks and good luck!

Legal Eagle and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you