Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

The beta Marine Aquarium 3.0 Screensaver is distributed by

Customer Question
Prolific Productions and installed via...
The beta Marine Aquarium 3.0 Screensaver is distributed by Prolific Productions and installed via digital download only. To activate or unlock the full version, one must purchase or enter a keycode. I'm not affiliated in any way with the creation or distribution of this software, just a customer who purchased a legal keycode from Prolific Productions and has found a site that offers a download for a keycode generator of this product.

My question is:
Can I sell the same keycode over-and-over or create other keycodes to sell which activate the full version of the Marine Aquarium software. I would like to setup a website that allows visitors to download the free demo version and be able to purchase the activation keycode. What are the legal issues here?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/1/2009
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
The legal issue is that the keycode is not for sale for re-distribution. You will be, in essence, committing copyright infringement and theft of their intellectual property. Since you will be re-selling their product without a license, you would owe them royalties on the sale, and the company would be able to sue you for infringement and all your profits, and then shut you down through an injunction.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney