How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am mentally handicapped since birth but I am now 34 years

Resolved Question:

I am mentally handicapped since birth but I am now 34 years old and I live with my parents. I have never lived on my own. I was working up until today when I went in I was fired. I worked there for almost 5 years and almost everyone there that I work with harrassed me. Now I was fired me. I was wondering because I am mentally handicapped can they do that. I was told a while ago that they could not do that to a handicapped person. Was I told wrong or what. They fired me because of a safety rule. They said I should walk behind the guy I was working with and so I did but I had to run to keep up with him. What does the law really say about this. Tina Rabe
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 8 years ago.

The probably cannot, if they fired you because you are mentally handicapped. That is against the law; it is against the "Americans With Disabilities Act". What the Act says is that if the company or boss knows of someone's disability, they cannot discriminate against that person because of that disability.

What you must do is you have to contact the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) to file a complaint BOTH for discrimination based on disability and for harrasment. This is their link:

Second, you have to talk to an attorney who does discrimination law and have the attorney review your facts--you might have a suit against the company.


Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you