How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister passed away a few months ago. The only asset she

Resolved Question:

My sister passed away a few months ago. The only asset she had was her car which she wanted her daughter to have. I am the executor but would like to avoid probate since this is absolutely the only asset she had. She wrote the will mainly to make sure her daughter got the car.

Is the death certificate enough to get the car title changed. There are no liens against it.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
Yes if the daughter is her only heir you can just fill out a transfer of title with a copy of the death certificate to get the car changed to the daughter's name.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She also has a son who agrees the car is going to her sister. Does he need to sign something? I do have a copy of the signed will stating the car should go to the daughter.
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
Yes since he is an heir and you do not want to probate he has to sign to agree to waive his right to any claim in the car.
legaleagle and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you